What domains should I include in my UCC certificate ?
This is largely dependent on how your server and your network is setup and how you access your server.
Most people will include the following three options in their certificates:
1. The internal server name
2. The internal server with the internal domain name
Note: Please see article detailing acceptable internal use IP’s and names HERE.
- The domain names used for externally accessing the server either through Outlook Web Access or POP/IMAP.
- The Auto Discover Domain used for new Exchange/Outlook 07 functionality (New to Exchange 2007 is the Auto Discover service).(optional)
So, below is an example of the domain list for the above:
mailserver— Private Server Name
mailserver.local — Internal LAN name
mailserver.mydomain.net — POP/SMTP/IMAP Server
mailserver.domain.com — POP/SMTP/IMAP Server
owa.domain.com — Outlook Web Access
autodiscover.domain.com — AutoDiscover
For more information on the Office Communications Server 2007 Certificate Wizard and installing certificates for Office Communications Server, see the deployment documentation available on the Office Communications Server 2007 Technical Library
More about AutoDiscover from Microsoft’s TechNet.
The Autodiscover service makes it easier to configure and manage Outlook 2007. Earlier versions of Microsoft Exchange and Outlook required that you configure all user profiles manually to access Exchange. Extra work was required to manage these profiles if changes occurred to the messaging environment. Otherwise, the Outlook clients could stop functioning correctly.
The Autodiscover service uses a user’s e-mail address and domain account to automatically configure the user’s profile. By using the e-mail address and domain account, the Autodiscover service can provide the following information to the client:
* The user’s display name
* Separate connection settings for internal and external connectivity
* The location of the user’s Mailbox server
* The URLs for various Outlook features that govern such functionality as Availability (free/busy) information, the Out of Office Assistant, Unified Messaging, and the Web-based offline address book
* Outlook Anywhere server settings
* Generating your Unified Communications Certificate (UCC) CSR